- Shot blocker - on-ball or help-side
- Has solid footwork on the block
- Finishes well around the rim with both hands
- Uses length well to shoot over the top smaller defender
- Loves playing with contact
- Doesn't run well, he will get outrun by quicker bigs
- Lacks lateral quickness to defend the perimeter
- Struggles to stay in front of athletic bigs
- Doesn't contest perimeter jump-shots well
- Not athletic
Matt Nicholson is a big that has extremely long arms which allows him to be a good shot blocker. He challenges everything which can get him into foul trouble at times. His ability to block shots does hinder one of his weaknesses, which is the inability to defend in the low post against quicker, stronger and more athletic bigs. Nicholson has to become better with his defensive awareness as opponents often slip behind him. On offense, Matt can finish around the rim due to his footwork, length, and size which frees him up from defenders.
Nike EYBL - Emerson, GA - 4/27/2019
Long armed big that loves to block shots. Finishes around the rim. He has good footwork that allows him to create shots in the low-post.